Cradle Lacrosse Camp July 9 - July 12, 2018
Cradle Lacrosse Camp
Age: 4 - 8 year olds
Date: July 9 - July 12, 2018
Time: Monday, 9:00am - 12:00pm
Location: Cardinal O’Hara High School
*** Early Bird Discount: Save $35 when you register before May 20th! ***
The Ultimate Introduction to the Sport
NXT's Cradle Lacrosse teaches lacrosse's basic skills in a one-of-a-kind, unrivaled environment. Cradle's four-day camp focuses on building players' confidence and having success through its unique curriculum that allows kids to be introduced to lacrosse in a fun, unique way.
NXT's passionate coaching staff breaks it down for kids by combining lessons with activities and games to reinforce skills.
Cradlers should bring:
- Bring a snack, sunscreen and a water bottle.
- A LOT of energy!
- A certified Athletic Trainer will be onsite every day of camp.
- Each player will receive a Cradle t-shirt and camp give-aways!
- We have awesome camp prizes, competitions and other fun games throughout the week.
- Photos will be taken and posted on social media so the parents can follow along with the fun!
Cradling & Grip
- Players will discover the proper way to hold the stick: Grip Form, 1 hand & 2 hand
- Players will utilize their understanding of how to cradle while going full speed and half speed
- Players will learn tips to maintain control of the ball while moving at different speeds
- For more advanced players: encourage them to try more difficult skills (Cradling with 1 hand, boys put shields up and girls work on stick protection)
Scooping & Ground Balls
- Players will discover and demonstrate successful techniques for scooping ground balls
- Players will use verbal communication amongst themselves, and will be asked to reflect on the importance of communication with teammates
- For more advanced players: encourage players to attempt more difficult groundballs and scoops that are first demonstrated by the coaches
Throwing & Catching
- Players will observe coaches as they model proper techniques of throwing, catching, and communication
- Players will learn and demonstrate proper techniques for throwing and catching - Power Foot, Telescope Aiming, and following through
- Players will acquire the skills to shoot different types of shots and will repeat them at full speed
- For more advanced players: encourage players to attempt more difficult passes and catches that are first demonstrated by the coaches
Dodging & Defense
- Players will be able to experiment with and learn the different ways to avoid the defense when carrying the ball
- Players will utilize their knowledge of cradling to practice their different dodges at full speed
- Dodges/moves - roll dodge, face dodge, stutter step, and split dodge
- More advanced players: encouraged to try various dodges and moves outside of the three general dodges taught
- Players will apply their previous knowledge of defense from other sports as they integrate new skills and tips for playing defense
- Players will get the chance to play defense on each other
- More advanced players are encouraged to challenge themselves within the drills, focus on footwork, defensive communication and reference dodges from previous days
What You'll Learn
Marty attended the University of Delaware, where he majored in Early Childhood Education and minored in history. He spent two years as a physical education teacher for children ages 3-18 while completing a Masters of Education at Cabrini College. He then spent time teaching in the Lower Merion School District (PA) at the elementary level. Marty taught for three years as a second grade teacher at Episcopal Academy. He began working at EA in 2011 as a Writing Specialist in the Lower School.
After learning to play lacrosse in the Rose Tree, Ridley, and Haven youth programs, Marty was a crafty attackman and an All Inter-Ac selection while at the Episcopal Academy, graduating in 2003. He then went on to play at the University of Delaware, helping the Blue Hens to two CAA championships and to reach the NCAA tournament in 2005 and 2007. “Coach Kupp” is the director of all boys programs and teams for NXT LC. He also directs Cradle Lacrosse and Trashcan Lacrosse programs and supports the curriculum development for all of NXT's educational efforts.
Coach Kupp served as an assistant coach at Episcopal Academy with Andy Hayes from 2011-2016 working with the both middle school and high school teams. Marty was an offensive assistant coach for both the JV + Varsity teams at Lower Merion High School as well as an assistant coach for Duke's LC from 2008-2010. He was also a volunteer coach with LEAPS.
With NXT, Coach Kupp served as the head coach for both NXT 2014 and NXT 2017 through their high school careers, before taking the reigns of the NXT 2024 squad. Coach Kupp can be found at all of our youth club practices in addition to our Cradle Lacrosse & Play Fast trainings and camps.
"You are what you repeatedly do"
Cardinal O’Hara High School1701 Sproul Road
Springfield, PA 19064